Wondering on how to install APK files in an android smartphone? Many of users using android smartphone may have heard the term “APK“. Some users may be familiar with the term APK and some maybe not. At some point, users may possibly wonder what APK file actually is. In this article, we will be discussing what an APK file is and how one can install such APK file in Android Smartphone.
Without any further delay, we will be discussing the topic throughout this article. You can also directly jump into a particular section by clicking on the specific topic that you want to read.
Jump to Quick Links
- What is an APK File?
- How to install an APK file from your android device?
- How to install an APK file from your computer?
What is an APK File?
The term APK is abbreviated as Android Package Kit. It also stands for Android application package. An APK is a file format used by the Android Operating System to install the mobile application in android device. This APK file contains all the functionality that an application needs to install correctly on the device. Using an APK file on android to install an app is just like using .exe for installing the software in Windows (PC) systems.
When the user visits the Google Play Store and downloads an app, the play store automatically downloads and installs the APK. An APK file can also be installed manually in our android device. The process of manually installing an android app using APK is known as sideloading. Typically, users never see an APK file because Android Operating System handles app installation in the background via Google Play or another app distribution platform.
How to install APK files from your android device?
Installing an APK file into your android device is easy. But before installing an APK file make sure you download file from the trusted source. Don’t install APK if they look suspicious. When users download an app from the Google Play Store they are automatically installed into the user device while the app installers downloaded outside Google Play are saved as .apk file and must be installed manually.
Android Operating System automatically recognizes the APK file. User can easily open the APK file by tapping into the icons. Installing APK file from third-party directly is not secure. To install a third-party application you need to change the default security settings so that the android device allows users to install third-party application.
Allowing Installation of APK Files
In order to allow an Android device to install an application from unknown sources follow the steps mentioned below.
- Open Settings.
- Tap on Security menu.
- Check the Unknown sources option.
- Tap Ok to confirm.
- Once you are done with the above steps, you can install apps from APK files.
Installing an APK File
Android Package Kit can be downloaded from the web using your browser and can be installed on any of your Android smartphone or tablet. To install an APK file follow the following methods or procedures.
- Open your browser and find the APK file you want to install.
- Once the download is complete, open downloads.
- Tap on the APK file.
- Tap Yes when the dialog box is prompted.
- Now the app will begin installing on your device.
How to install APK Files from your computer?
Choosing a trusted site is most for installing an APK file. Users can find many of the sites on the web that provides APK files, but be sure to choose a site that is trusted more. Some APK file even may contain malicious software that can risk your device security. So users need to be aware of such things before downloading or installing any mobile application outside of the Play Store.
APK Mirror is a website that allows you to download free android APK’s. Downloading files from APK Mirror is safer than any other websites. But make sure you read some reviews and user comments before downloading. To install APK files from your computer follow the following steps.
- First search for APK files that you want to install on your device. Once you found your desired APK file save it to an easy-to-find location on your computer.
- After downloading the file, connect your android device with the computer.
- Before installing APK, make sure third-party apps are allowed on your device.
- If not then go to Menu > Settings > Security and check Unknown Sources to allow your android smartphone to install a third-party application.
- Tap on Media Device as you will receive options after connecting your phone to the computer.
- Copy the downloaded file into your Android smartphone.
- Find the APK file from your device, tap on it then the installation process begins.
This is how you install APK files from your computer. If the APK doesn’t work properly, repeat the process with a different APK file.