A proxy is a server that stands between an external network (such as Internet) and an organization’s internal (private) networks and serves as a firewall. It prevents external users from directly accessing the internal information resources, or even knowing their location. All external requests for information are intercepted by the proxy server and checked for their validity, and only authorized requests are passed on to the internal server. This security, however, comes at the cost of inconvenience to genuine users and slower performance. While this arrangement results in higher access speed, the information may be outdated if updating of the original document or file (stored on a different server) does not automatically updates the information in the proxy server. Proxy settings allow an intermediary to come between your web browser and another computer, called a server. Basically, the use of a proxy and VPN (Virtual private Network) are same, with a little difference.
Useful for you:
- Top 5 free VPN Apps for Android
- Bypass All Playstore Restrictions to Download Apps
- How to Install Incompatible Apps on Android from Google Play
The Android Lollipop has the in-built feature to use proxy while connecting to a WiFi network. To configure the proxy settings, while connecting to WiFi in your Android device running on Lollipop or higher versions, follow these simple steps:
- Go to the Menu >> Settings in your Android device.
- Inside the Settings menu, tap on “Wireless & networks”, and thereunder, touch Wi-Fi.
- Touch and hold a Wi-Fi network in the list of networks.
- Tap on Modify network.
- Select Show advanced options. (You may have to lower the keyboard first. To do so, touch the modified back button .)
- Touch None under Proxy Settings, then touch Manual in the menu that opens.
- Enter the proxy settings.
- Touch Save.
You should note that the proxy configured for a WiFi network will not work on other connections, which means you will have to configure the proxy separately for each networks, which you want to do so.