TWRP recovery can be given the title of “Most Powerful Tool” when it comes to modifying Android. It is more than just a tool to give you root access. Thanks to the hard work from developer Ethan Yonker, TWRP is now available for Google Pixel devices. With this you can now flash ZIPs, make system backups and install a custom ROM on your Pixel. Here’s how to install TWRP recovery on Google Pixel.
Install TWRP recovery on Google Pixel
Before You Start
This guide only works for Google Pixel and Pixel XL. If you have devices other than that, do not attempt to follow this guide. You will break your device. Make sure you Pixel with unlocked bootloader. Also, ADB and fastboot needs to be installed on your computer.
Flash Stock Image (Rooted users only)
If you have already rooted your Pixel device, you’ll need to re-flash the stock image before installing TWRP. This will unroot your device but you can easily re-root it once you install TWRP. Follow the steps below to re-flash stock image.
- Download the factory images package for Pixel or Pixel XL.
- Extract the downloaded ZIP and open the extracted folder.
- Extract the second ZIP and copy boot.img file from inside the folder it creates.
- Paste the boot.img file to the platform-tools folder inside the ADB and Fastboot installation directory.
- Now, for Windows users, hold down shift button and then right click on empty space inside platform-tools folder. Click on Open command window here. Mac and Linux users need to open a new Terminal and change the path to platform-tools.
- Turn off your device. Then, press and hold the Volume down and Power button together till you get into Bootloader mode. Connect you device to the computer.
- Type the following on the CMD or Terminal window and hit enter. Mac users need to add “./” and Linux users need to add “/” before the command: fastboot flash boot.img
- Reboot and get ready to install TWRP.
Follow the steps below to install TWRP on your Pixel device.
- Set a password or a PIN. You need to do this for Pixel’s new file-based encryption system. TWRP needs to temporarily decrypt your device to allow you to flash ZIPs and create backups.
- Download the flashable TWRP ZIP. There are separate TWRP ZIPs for Pixel and Pixel XL, download the appropriate one. Copy it to your device’s storage if you downloaded the ZIP from your computer.
- Download Boot Image Patcher ZIP. This will ensure that TWRP will be able to boot on your device.
- Download TWRP image on your computer. There are separate TWRP images for Pixel and Pixel XL, download the appropriate one.
- Move the TWRP image to your Platform-tools folder. If you are a Windows user, the default folder path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk. Mac and Linux users need to search your computer for the platform-tools folder if you forgot where you installed it.
- Rename the .img file you just copied to twrp.img. This step is temporary and only for simplicity.
- Reboot your device to Bootloader Mode. Turn off your device and when the screen goes black, hold down Volume down and Power buttons to get into Bootloader mode.
- Boot from the TWRP image file. On your Windows PC, hold down shift and then right click on empty space inside platform-tools folder. Click on Open command window here. Mac and Linux users need to open a new Terminal and change the path to platform-tools.
- Type the following on the CMD or Terminal window and hit enter. Mac users need to add “./” and Linux users need to add “/” before the command. If the command returns with numbers followed by the word “fastboot”, then you are ready to go: fastboot devices
- Now we will be flashing TWRP recovery. Type the following on the CMD or Terminal window and hit enter. Mac users need to add “./” and Linux users need to add “/” before the command: fastboot boot twrp.img
- Your phone will now boot into TWRP. But it is not permanent recovery yet. You will be prompted to enter the PIN or password. Once you’re inside the TWRP’s main menu, tap on Install and navigate to “Download” folder. Select twrp-pixel-installer.zip and swipe the slider to install it.
- Now, tap the back button and select VerifiedBootSigner.zip file and swipe to install it.
- Tap on Reboot System. Now, TWRP is the permanent recovery for your device.
If you were previously rooted or would like to root your device, you can simple download and install SuperSU flashable zip using the newly installed TWRP recovery.