If you are on Snapchat, you are aware that screenshotting a snap or story is the one and only way to save it. The app alerts the individual whose story you took a snapshot of, which can be problematic. If you don’t wish the other person to be aware that you are saving their images, this could be an issue. Not to worry! We have a solution to your problem. Here’s how to take screenshots on Snapchat without the other person knowing. You can also use this method to screenshot images on Instagram without notifying the user.
Why Does Snapchat Alert a Screenshot?
The short answer is Snaps are meant to be temporary and Snapchat notifies the user of a screenshot because of privacy. When another user screenshots a user’s image, video, chat, or Snapchat story, Snapchat will alert the user. A screenshot alert will appear for photos and videos, the text “You took a screenshot!” will appear in your conversation, and a screenshot of a user’s story will show a screenshot symbol in the viewer’s area. You have to be cunning if you want to screenshot someone on Snapchat without them knowing. However, if you manage to take screenshots of snaps without the other user knowing, you aren’t doing anything unlawful.
With the growth of apps, screenshot notifications have become increasingly prevalent. For instance, iPhone now alerts users if a screenshot of their FaceTime call is taken. These features are increasingly included by developers since users should protect their online privacy. Snapchat can’t stop you from taking screenshots, but at least it can notify the other party. It’s wise to never post anything online as a Snapchat user that you don’t want anyone else to view. Now, let’s get on to the main topic. How to screenshot on Snapchat without the other person knowing? Also, how to screenshot Instagram DM without the other person knowing.
Note: I advise you to test the methods on a close friend’s account or your alternative account before using it on the snaps of the user you want to screenshot.
Take Screenshots on Snapchat
Here are some tips for sneakily taking screenshots on Snapchat. Update Snapchat to the newest version first, though.
Use Another Device
While this is not the best way, it is the most effective way. How will Snapchat notify others if you’re not even using the same device? Other methods come and go, but this will always stay.
If you have an extra phone sitting around, you can secretly record or capture a snapshot of the Snapchat story or snap using it. It won’t result in high-resolution screenshots, but it’s still a workable alternative. Considering that you could be unsure of the Snap’s duration, I advise recording your screen instead of taking a photo. You can only replay the Snap once, and doing so alerts the sender once more.
Again, not the best but it works if you have a Mac and iPhone. Follow the steps below.
- Connect the iPhone to your Mac.
- Open QuickTime Player.
- Click on File > New Movie Recording.
- Again, click on the drop-down arrow beside the record button.
- Select your iPhone as the input.
Choose your iPhone as the input for the camera and microphone. Your Mac should display the screen from your phone. Last but not least, start screen recording the iPhone on the Mac.
But what if you don’t want a video recording but an actual screenshot? Then follow the initial instructions, but instead of screen recording, use Command + Shift + 4 on the Mac to create screenshots of the pictures rather than a video recording of the snaps. A screenshot of the QuickTime window can then be taken by pressing the Space Bar.
Use Screen Mirroring on iPhone
For iPhone, using this Snapchat hack, you can screenshot Snapchat without receiving a notification. Turn on Screen Mirroring in your iPhone’s Control Center to cast the phone to an output source. Record the Snap with the external device after that. There are varied results, so it’s still a little riskier. Some senders received screenshot notifications, whilst others did not. Check to see whether it works by attempting it with a friend!
Use Presentation Mode on Android [Best Method]
For Android, this is the best method. You will need to install an app called Private Screenshots. It is very easy to use too. As of December 10, this method has been working flawlessly. Follow the steps below.
- Download the Private Screenshot app on your Android device.
- Open the app and grant all the permissions.
- Now tap on the first option “Take screenshot without them knowing”. You will see a floating shutter icon.
- Tapping on the icon will take a screenshot without notifying the user.
- When done, tap on the notification to stop capturing.
- Save the screenshot by moving them to the gallery.
Private Screenshot works by launching the app in “presentation mode” and captures the entire screen when you tap on the shutter button. All the screenshots will be saved in the app’s installation folder. Make sure you move the screenshots to the gallery.
What Methods Don’t Work Anymore?
Beware of outdated methods. And always test the methods on a friend’s or alternative account first. Below are the methods that don’t work anymore and will notify the user if a screenshot is taken.
- Screen Recording: There is a screen recorder feature included in your phone. As a result, you might consider capturing Snapchat on your phone’s screen and saving the recordings as videos. However, this is untrue. Screen recording has been attempted, and it actually sends notifications!
- Enabling Airplane Mode: It’s a tried-and-true method that may still function on older versions of Snapchat. But this does not work right now. Considering that Airplane mode disables all networks, how is it possible for Snapchat to send screenshot notifications? In reality, Snapchat is pre-loaded. As a result, the server will be aware of your app usage. Once you go online, Snapchat will send a screenshot notification.
- Clearing Cache: The majority of longtime Snapchat users have succeeded in using this method. You capture a screenshot after cutting off your internet connection and then clear the cache. As a result, when the application is connected to the internet, there could not be any records of your activities. But this doesn’t work anymore as Snapchat has already fixed this loophole.