ADB or Android Debug Bridge is a command-line interface for interacting with your device or for debugging your apps. ADB is a part of SDK or Software Development Kit and is often required to perform certain operations such as rooting your android, unlocking bootloader, etc. in this tutorial we’re going to learn how to download, install and run ADB on a Windows machine.
More detail on:
How to setup ADB on Windows and Mac
Pre-requisites to Install Android Debug Bridge (ADB)
The minimum pre-requisites for ADB. If your computer meets the requirements of a windows (64 bit or 32 bit) machine, you can start installing ADB by following the steps mentioned below.
Install Android Debug Bridge (ADB)
- Download Android SDK Package. Get it from here.
- Extract the file (the extracted file may be named as “adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140321“) and place it somewhere convenient. In this tutorial, I am going to use C:/android-sdk-windows directory.
- Go to the folder and open SDK manager and select Android SDK Platform Tools or something similar.
- Then go to Available Packages > Third Party Add-ons > Google Inc. add-ons > check Google USB Drivers. Install.
- Close the SDK Manager.
- Click on Start and then go to Control Panel > System Properties and choose Advance System Settings followed by Environment Variables.
- Now we’ll set the variables by clicking on Path and adding the like C:android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools into the Value Field.
- Click OK.
- Now, enable USB Debugging on your device and connect it to your computer using USB.
- Install proper drivers. Windows will automatically do that.
- Open a command prompt. Type ADB devices. If your device is listed there that means you’ve successfully installed ADB.
In case your device is not listed doing the following might resolve the issue.
- Right-click on My Computer and open Device Manager.
- Right-click on the yellow exclamation mark near Unknown Device group and select Update Driver Software > Browse > Let Me Pick.
- Browse to C:android-adk-windowsextrasgoogleusb_drivers and choose android_winusb.inf
- Install and reopen command prompt and type ADB devices.