Sometimes when you install WhatsApp on your newly bought phone, your chat history may not appear automatically. But fear not as we are here to show you how to backup WhatsApp chat history and copy it to a new phone. WhatsApp stores chat history locally rather than on servers so if you are buying a new device or migrating from iPhone to Android or vice versa, you can still copy your precious chat history to your new device.
Backup WhatsApp chat history: Using SD card on Android
If your device comes with an external SD card then copying your WhatsApp chat history is simple. To Back up your chat history, open Whatsapp > tap on Menu > go to Settings > Chat and calls > Backup Chats. This will create a backup file on your SD card which you can now swap to your new device and restore it. WhatsApp will find and restore the backup file automatically.
Backup WhatsApp chat history: Using PC on Android
The devices without a SD card slot will need a computer to copy the chat history to a new device. To do so:
- Back up your chat history, open Whatsapp > tap on Menu > go to Settings > Chat and calls > Backup Chats.
- This will create a backup file on the device’s internal memory.
- Connect our device to a PC.
- Open your device using File Explorer.
- Find the WhatsApp folder.
- Copy the Folder to your PC.
- Disconnect the device.
- Connect the new device to your PC.
- Copy the WhatsApp folder to the internal storage.
- Disconnect the device.
- Install WhatsApp on the new device.
- After you confirm your phone number, the backup should be recognized and then you can restore it.
Backup WhatsApp chat history: On an iPhone
The easiest and simplest way to backup WhatsApp chat history on an iPhone is using iCloud. To do this, open WhatsApp > go to Settings > Chats > Chat Backup and tap on Backup Now. Now, on your new iPhone, install WhatsApp, confirm your phone number and you will pe prompted to restore your chat history. Note that the number should be the same that was used on your previous iPhone.
Backup WhatsApp chat history: Using Google Drive
You can now directly backup your chat history to Google Drive, so you can easily restore it to a new Android. However, for this to work, you must have Google Drive synced to your device and latest version of Google Play Services must be installed. To back up your WhatsApp chat history to Google Drive, follow the following steps.
- Open WhatsApp
- Go to Settings > Chats > Chat backup
- Tap on Back up to Google Drive. You can automate this by setting the backup frequency or tap the Back Up button to backup immediately.
- You will now be prompted to choose a Google account or create one if you don’t have one already.
- Tap on Back up over to choose the network of your choice.
- Your chat history is now safely backed up in your Google Drive. Note that each new backup overwrites the old one.
[quote bcolor=”#0B610B” arrow=”yes”]