Huawei, the world’s third largest smartphone manufacturer, revealed the Huawei Ascend Mate at CES 2013. This device made waves across blogs and tech websites due to its humongous screen as seen on the leaked photos prior to CES. Now that the device has been officially introduced, let’s take a look at what it has to offer.
The Ascend Mate features 6.1 inch display making it the world’s largest screen smartphone that falls under the ‘phablet’ category like the Galaxy Note. Despite the large screen, it supports only 720p and not full HD 1080p as rumored before. Though you will need a larger pocket to carry this device, it has a surprisingly comfortable grip which is due to its slim design. The Ascend Mate features Magic Touch Screen technology which means you will be able to work with the device even with gloves on.
The Mate comes with a 1.5 GHz quad core processor and 2 GB of RAM running Android 4.1 operating system. According to Huawei, the Ascend Mate has a faster charging time compared to other similar devices. Its 4050 mAH battery is expected to charge about 30% faster saving a lot of waiting time for users.
The Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Huawei devices will have additional features like Smart Reading, Easy Panel, Emotion UI and One-hand keyboard features. The one hand interface is similar to that of Galaxy Note very smooth and easy to use.
The Ascend Mate is up for sale in China at around $430 (2,680 yuan). Previously, the preorder price of $575 (cheaper than Galaxy Note 2) had emerged in a Chinese site called “Liaow”.
The following are the specifications of Huawei Ascend Mate:
- Network – GSM : 850/900/1800/1900 MHz UMTS : 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- Operating System – Android 4.1
- Processor – 1.5GHz quad-core processor
- Memory – 2GB of RAM /16 GB ,MicroSD and TransFlash
- Data – GPRS, EDGE, 3G and internet browsing
- Dimension – 163.5* 85.7* 9.9mm , Weight – 198 g
- Display size – 1280*720 pixels
- Display type – LCD capacitive touch screen
- Connectivity – Bluetooth,Wi-Fi,USB,GPS
- Camera – 8.1 mega pixel with 3264*2448 resolutions
- Battery capacity – 4050 mAh • Battery Type – Li-Ion battery