If you are among one of them who is searching the ways to Change Mac Address on Andoird then you have come to the right place. Changing the Mac Address on Android Device is not as difficult as you may think. Here, I will let you know some of the methods to Change Mac Address on Android Device (Spoof Mac Address). But before I get started, let me make clear what Mac Address really is and what are the advantages we get after changing the Mac Address?
What is Mac Address and Mac Address Spoofing?
Mac (Media Access Control) Address is a 12 character unique identification address of Wi-Fi device. It is use to identify your device on the Internet or the local network. Every device has its own unique Mac address.
Mac Address Spoofing is a technique to change Mac Address that is assigned by its manufacturer on a networked device (such as Wi-Fi device). The Mac address which is hard-coded on the network device cannot be changed. But there are some app which makes it possible to change the Mac address. In simple word, the process of masking a Mac address is called Mac spoofing.
What is the purpose and Advantages of Spoofing Mac Address?
Different users have a different reason for changing the Mac Address. There could be several reasons behind changing the Mac Address. Some of the reason can be like- to access public Wi-Fi and stay anonymous so that no one can track you back using the Mac Address, to make your activity private over the wireless networks, to bypass Mac filtering (if someone has blocked your device from the router so that you won’t be able to access the Internet).
Things to Remember
- Note down your Real Mac Address [It is better to copy somewhere else or write it in a paper]
- Mac is a hexadecimal string that means it only consist : 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f
- Mac Address is usually not case-sensitive.
How to find your Mac Address on Android Phone:
Before jumping into the methods to Change Mac Address on Android Device. First, let’s learn how to check Mac Address on your device.
- Go to Setting >> Scroll down all the way down and click on About Phone
- Now click on Status option >> scroll down and there you can see Mac Address of your Android Phone.
Warning: Change Your Mac Address at your Own Risk
Methods to Change Mac Address on Android Device (Spoof Mac Address)
There are several ways to change the Mac Address on Android Device. Here, I will be showing you some of the awesome ways to change Mac Address. I also want you to know that it is also possible that some manufacturer has restricted to change the Mac Address. So based on your device model and brand, the result may differ. Also, different methods have worked for different users, so don’t conclude that the method didn’t work for you just by trying a single method. You better try all the given methods to change Mac address. If it works then your job is done else it is possible that your device has a restriction for the manufacturer.
Important Note: Your Device should be Rooted to change Mac Address
Method 1: Using ES File Explorer to Change Mac Address
This method is one of the easiest methods to change Mac Address. It works perfectly fine. Just follow the given step carefully.
- First Download ES File Explorer
- Open the ES File Explorer app >> swipe from left to right side of the screen (or tap on three horizontal line which is on the top left-corner of the screen).
- Scroll down the option and Enable Root Explorer and Show hidden file option
- Also, Go to Local option >> Select Device
- You will see many folders >> click on efs folder >> click on Wifi folder
- There you will see two files named as .mac.cob and .mac.info
- Now Click on .mac.cob >> Open as Text >> Open it with ES Note Editor
- You will find your Mac Address there >> click on the button/option that you see on the top right corner of the screen, to get the option Edit >> Tap on it
- Now edit the Mac address as you like but remember the points I mentioned above in Things to remember >> exit the file by tapping on back button/option
- A dialogue box will appear asking you to save the file >> Click on Yes option
- Now do the same things in .mac.info as you did in .mac.cob (i.e You can copy the new mac address from .mac.cob and paste it on .mac.info and save it)
- Now disable you Wifi and again enable it.
- You have successfully changed the Mac Address of your Phone. Check it
Note: For the below given two methods you should also have Busybox App installed in your device. Download Busybox App
Method 2: Using ChameleMac App to change MAC Address
This method is also one of the easiest and simple methods to Change Mac Address. Just follow the steps mentioned below:
- First, you need to have ChameleMac App installed in your device – Download ChameleMac App
- Now Open the app, it will ask you for root permission, click on Grant Button
- You can now scan the screen of the app on which your device real Mac Address is displayed.
- Note down the real/original Mac address so that can you use it in future. (To restore or to set the original Mac address)
- Now click on Generate random MAC option to get the new random Mac address or just enter any Mac Address inside the box as you like by erasing the real one and click on “Apply new MAC” button.
- A dialogue box will appear asking for the confirmation, whether you want to change the Mac address or not, click on Change option.
- You have successfully changed your Mac Address.
Method 3: Using Terminal Emulator App to change MAC Address
Terminal Emulator App is one of the best apps to change the Mac Address on an Android device. This app uses the command, so it will be quite an interesting way to change the Mac Address as well as to use the app. Follow the steps carefully as shown below:
- First, you need to have Terminal Emulator App installed in your device – Download Terminal Emulator App
Note: Try “wlan0” in place of “eth0”, if your code doesn’t work because it is different on some devices.
Now, just type the below commands accordingly in Terminal Emulator App as mentioned below and Hit Enter Button.
- su: As you type su and Hit Enter it will grant you Root Access to the device.
- busybox iplink show eth0: This will show your current MAC address of your Android Device.
- busybox ifconfig eth0 hw ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX: Now replace XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (Given Mac address) with your new Mac Address and Hit Enter.
You have successfully spoofed your Mac address.
To Check the new Mac Address Enter the given command.
busybox iplink show eth0
Some other Apps that you can try to change Mac Address
If none of the above methods worked for you then you can try some of the other methods respective to the apps. Some of them are listed below:
So, these are some of the methods to Change Mac Address on Android Device (Spoof Mac Address). I hope you are now able to change your Mac Address. Let us know which method worked for you so that it will benefit other users.